The Willys Jeep Station Wagon, Jeep Utility Wagon and Jeep Panel Delivery were produced by Willys in the United States from 1946 to 1965, with production in Argentina and Brazil continuing until 1970 and 1977 respectively. They were the first mass-market all-steel station wagons designed and built as a passenger vehicle.
The Jeep Wagon was designed in the mid-1940s by industrial designer Brooks Stevens.
Willys did not make their own bodies, car bodies were in high demand, and Willys was known to have limited finances. So, Brooks designed bodies that could be built by sheet metal fabricators who normally made parts for household appliances and could draw sheet metal no more than 6 inches.
The Jeep Wagon was the first Willys product with independent front suspension. Barney Roos, Willys' chief engineer, developed a system based on a transverse seven-leaf spring. The system, called "Planadyne" by Willys, was similar in concept to the "planar" suspension Roos had developed for Studebaker in the mid-1930s.